Friday, June 27, 2014

Homemade Chalk Painting Some Chairs

Painting is therapeutic to me and I enjoy the process.  I love changing up a piece of furniture in moments with a new paint color.  Painting has worked for me, but when I first discovered chalk paint I wanted to paint everything in sight.  Chalk paint is so easy to use and it gave me quick results.  I'm not the most patient person in the world.  I admit I have little patience and I also have to admit I love a good deal. Some might call me frugal :)

When I learned how much chalk paint cost, I didn't want to fork over the dough for it.  Then I discovered a great "recipe" for homemade chalk paint.  Homemade chalk paint is simple and cheap.



Plaster of paris (or p.a.p as I call it, plaster-a-paris) is sold right in the hardware store and comes in a milk carton type box.  Make sure to cover it well when you are done or it will get moisture in it and not work anymore.   I bought a plastic measuring cup that I use just for chalk paint projects and I can measure, stir, and paint right from it.  All of this was under $20 and I am still using the plaster of Paris and wax 2 years later. 

I found the perfect set of chairs at a local consignment store (frugal, remember)  and got right to work painting them with my homemade chalk paint.



 I loved the shape of the chairs but the brown finish wasn't doing anything for me.  I added two coats of homemade chalk paint, let dry for about an hour, sanded the edges, and applied a light coat of minwax with a rag.


What a difference!  I love the color and how fresh and bright they look now.  

 
I didn't distress them too much, just enough to give them some texture.  Then into the living room they went.









I found the pillows at Target and they pulled in all the colors of my room.  I didn't even care they cost $25 each.  Not very frugal at all, but I love them!!  The paint on these chairs is going on year 2 and I haven't had ANY issues with chipping.  And with 5 kids that passes the durability test, for sure!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment